BSc Mining Eng. (Leeds University, England, July 1976)
Hamed Muhammed Jassim
After completion of secondary school at Al-Markazia Secondary School - Baghdad, ( 1971), Dr. Hamed got a scholarship to do GCE. at Dudley Technical College-England ( 1973), followed by B.Sc. and M.SC. in Mining Eng. and Applied Geophysics at Leeds University- England ( 1976 and 1977 respectively). He was appointed as a member of teaching staff at the department of Petroleum & Mining Eng - College of Eng / Baghdad Univ. He was awarded an Austrian Scholarship to do Ph.D ( Dr. Mont ) in Mining Eng ( Tunneling Eng. ) at the Leoben School of Mines ( Montanuniversitaet Leoben ) in Leoben-Styria- Austria, whereby he graduated in June 1990. Dr. Hamed was promoted to a Lecturer in 1991 and then to an Assistant Professor in 2005 at the University of Baghdad. He was promoted to a Full Professor on 4.4.2015 at Koya University. He held the following positions:
1- Assistant Dean of the College of Eng./ Baghdad Univ. ( 1996 till 2002).
2- Assistant Dean of the Second Engineering College ( Al-Khawarizmi College ) / Baghdad Univ ( August 2002 till April 2003 ).
3- Dean of the Second Engineering College ( Al-Khawarizmi Engineering College ) ( April 2003 till May 2003 ).
4- Head of the School of Petroleum & Chemical Engineering-Faculty of Engineering-Koya University-Iraqi Kurdistan ( Oct. 2010 till February 2013.
5- Member of the Central Scientific Promotion Committee at Koya University 2009-2016.
In addition to his job at the university of Baghdad, he taught at the University of Technology as external lecturer and at the university of Khartoum - Sudan -College of Engineering and Architecture as Visiting Professor in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 (One semester each ).
Dr. Hamed transferred his work from Baghdad University to Koya University - Faculty of Engineering - Iraqi Kurdistan since April 2006.
During the first semester ( October 2013 Till February 2014) and during both semesters of 2016, he taught at the University of Kurdistan-Hawler as an external lecturer.
He got retired from Koya University on 25.8.2016 and joined the University of Kurdistan-Hewler (UK-H) on 1.9.2016 as Assistant Professor.
1- Reader of Petroleum & Mining Eng. Dept/ College of Eng./ Baghdad Univ. 1984-1985.
2- Registrar, College of Engineering/Baghdad Univ./ 1992-1994.
3- Assistant Dean of the College of Eng./Baghdad Univ. 1995-2002.
4- Assistant Dean of the Eng. College of Khawarizmi / Baghdad Univ. 2002-2004.
5- Dean of the Eng. College of Khawarizmi / Baghdad Univ. April 2003- May 2003.
6- Head of the School of Petroleum & Chemical Eng./Faculty of Eng./Koya Univ. from October 2010 till February 2013.
1- Assistant lecturer at the Petroleum & Mining Eng. Dept./ College of Eng/Baghdad Univ. from February 1980 till March 1985.
2- Ph.D. study at the Leoben School of Mines (Montanuniversitaet Leoben), Austria from March 1985 till June 1990.
3- Lecturer at the Petroleum & Mining Eng. Dept/College of Eng/Baghdad Univ. from June 1990 till April 2005.
4- Visiting Professor at the Mining Eng. Dept./ College of Eng. & Architecture / Khartoum University – the Sudan in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002, (July to September each).
5- Assistant Professor at the Petroleum & Mining Eng. Dept./College of Eng./Baghdad Univ. from April 2005 till April 2006.
6- Assistant Professor at the Geotechnical Eng. Dept./Faculty of Eng./Koya Univ. from April 2006 till April 2014.
7- Full Professor at the Geotechnical Eng. Dept./Faculty of Eng./Koya Univ. from April 2014 till August 2016.
8- Senior Advisor – Part Time at Kar Group, Erbil-Kurdistan from 2004 till August 2016.
9- Visiting Lecturer – Part Time at UK-H – NREM (School of Natural Resources Engineering & Management) from 2013-2016.
10- Assistant Professor at the UK-H – NREM (School of Natural Resources Engineering & Management) from 1.9.2016 till now.
Memberships of Editorial/Review Boards of Journals
1- Editorial/Advisory Board Member –International Journal of Research & Development in Engineering, Science and Management ( IJRnDESM ).
2- Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Engineering, Technology, Science and Research, ( IJETSR ).
3- A Board Member of the International Journal of Engineering Trend & Technology, ( IJETT ).
4- Editorial Board Member of the Journal “ Academic Science “.
5- Associate Editorial Board Member of “ ARO “ ( The Scientific Journal of Koya University).
Technical Studies and Consultations
1- Design of Diversion Tunnel of Adhaim Dam for the Furat Centre of the Design of Irrigation Projects/ Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, June 1992.
2- Preliminary Design of AL-Hussainyat iron ore Mine, Western Desert, Iraq for The State Establishment for Exploitation Works/ Ministry of Industry and Minerals, September 1994.
3- A study for the Excavation of Passenger stations for the Planned Baghdad Metro Project (Route-1) for the Commission of Express Ways / Ministry of Transport, Feb. 2003.
4- Supervision on the construction of Irrigation and power tunnels, Adhaim Dam during 1991 and 1992.
5- Consultation services for Petroleum Research and Development center in the field of powder Technology during 1996 and 1997.
6- Consultation services for the state establishment for exploitation works in the field of open pit mining and mine design during 1994.
7- Consultation services for the Iraqi Oil Company, Department of Underground Storage Caverns during Summer 2001 and 2002.
1. Magnetic Separation of Al-Hussainyat iron ore, Engineering Journal/ College of Eng/ Baghdad Univ., Volume 3, No. 2 , November 1997.
2. Magnetizing reduction of iron ores through direct contact with heavy oil, Engineering Journal/ College of Eng/ Baghdad Univ., Volume 4, No. 3 , September 1998.
3. A study into some conditions for the Benefication of Akashat phosphate Rocks, Journal of Engineering & Technology/ University of Technology-Baghdad, Volume 20, No. 4 , 2001.
4. A simple method for studying Crushability and Grindability of Rocks and Minerals, The Iraqi Journal of Chemical & Petroleum Engineering, Volume 5, No. 3 , 2004.
5. Pollution Issues in Iraqi Kurdistan Region “ , The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology , Volume 4, Issue 5 –May 2013.
6. " Lead Pollution in Iraqi Kurdistan Region " , The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology , Volume 4, Issue 6 –June 2013.
7. " Environmental Issues In Erbil City " , The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology , Volume 4, Issue 8 – August 2013.
8. " Optimum Use of Plastic Waste to Enhance the Marshal Properties and Moisture Resistance of Hot Mix Asphalt ", The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology , Volume 7, Number 1– January 2014.
9. “ A Comparative Study of the Suitability of Dakuk, Kirkuk-Iraq and Tuz, Salahaddin-Iraq Coarse Aggregates for Construction Purposes “,The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, IJETT Volume 10, Number 8 – April 2014.
10. “ Modelling Study on the Suitability of Demolishing Waste for the Production of Hot Mix Asphalt “, The International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, IJAER Volume 9, Number 17 – June 2014.
11. " On The Landslide Of Daigala Slope - Kurdistan - Iraq " , The International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, IJETT Volume 12, Number 10 – June 2014.
12. “ Characterization of Rock Mass Units Along The Abandoned Haibat Sultan Tunnel, Koya City, NE. Iraq “, International Journal of Engineering Technology Management and Applied Sciences ( IJETMAS ), Volume 3, Issue 3, March 2015.
13. " Investigation into Iraqi DC Power Supply Pollutants ", Volume 3,
International Journal of Engineering Technology Management
and Applied Sciences (IJETMAS), Volume 3, Issue 7, July 2015.
14. “ Guidelines On The Excavation Process & Support Measures Of The Abandoned Haibat Sultan Tunnel, Koya City, NE. Iraq “, International Journal of Engineering Technology Management and Applied Sciences, ( IJETMAS ), Volume 3, Issue 8, August 2015.
15. " Strength and behavior of self Compacting Concrete with Glass Waste as Partial Replacement for Coarse Aggregate under Elevated Temperatures ."IJETMAS, V4 – ISSUE 3 – March 2016.
16. Environmental Impact of Electrical Power Generators In Iraq, IJETMAS, Vol 4, Issue 3 – March 2016.
17. Experimental Study of Polypropylene Fiber- Reinforced Concrete. Int. Journal of R & D In Eng, Science & Management (IJRnDESM), Vol. 4, Issue 3 –July 2016.
1- “ Slope Stability Assessment along Haibat Sultan Main Road-Koya-Kurdistan “, First International Symposium on Urban Development – Koya as a Case Study, Koya University-Wessex Institute of Technology, Koya 16 – 18 December 2013.
2- “Environmental Issues Caused By Increasing Numbers Of Vehicles In Iraq” , Published in the proceedings of the International Conference on Energy & Sustainability 2014, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 16.12.2014 Till 18.12.2014.
3- “Effect Of Crude Oil Products On The Geotechnical Properties Of Soil”, Published in the proceedings of the International Conference on Energy & Sustainability 2014, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, from 16.12.2014 Till 18.12.2014.
1. Magnetic Separation of Al-Hussainyat Iron Ore (M.Sc. Thesis- College of enginerring – Univesity of Baghdad -1994).
2. A study into some conditions for the Beneficiations of Akashat Phosphate Rocks (M.Sc. Thesis – University of Technology – Baghdad 1999).
3. Beneficiation of Low Grade Chromite in the Inngessana Hills (M.Sc. thesis – University of Khartoum – 2000).
4. Beneficiation of Sulphide Mineral in Aryab Area (M.Sc. Thesis – University of Khartoum – 1999).
5. A study of failures around underground openings (Ph.D. Thesis University of Khartoum – 2000).
6. Evaluation of Geotechnical Properties of Black Clay Rocks for Mining Purposes in Al-Hussainiyat Area/ Western Desert-Iraq ( Ph.D. thesis- University of Baghdad, Feb. 2004 ).
7. Primary Geotechnical Assessment of Haibat Sultan Area and its Suitability for Proposed Tunnel Construction ( M.Sc. thesis – Koya University, College of Eng., Geotechnical Eng. Dept., Jan. 2009 ).
8. In addition to that, a large number of graduation projects for final year students were supervised by me at the university of Baghdad and Koya University.
Membership of Postgraduate Examination and Defence Committees:
1. M.Sc. Thesis ( Magnetizing Reduction of Al-Hussainyat Iron Ore by Heavy Oil ), University of Baghdad, M.Sc. Candidate Ghanim Saddam Hassan, October 1996.
2. M.Sc. Thesis ( A study into some conditions for the Beneficiation of Akashat Phosphate Rocks), University of Technology- Baghdad, M.Sc. Candidate Hijran Zainulabideen Tu’ma, July 1999.
3. M.Sc. Thesis ( The Processing of Iraqi Bauxite and its use for the manufacturing of melting cubicles), University of Technology- Baghdad, M.Sc. Candidate Muna Yousuf Slaiwa Al-Bazi, 24th February 2005.
4. M.Sc. Thesis ( The Purification of Iraqi Kaolinite and its use for the manufacturing of high strength ceramic sections), University of Technology- Baghdad, M.Sc. Candidate Ruba jamal Putrus, 3rd March 2005.
5. Ph.D. Thesis ( Mining Geology and Environmental Impacts of Raw Materials Quarrying for Cement Industry in Badush Area/ Nienavah Governorate and its Remedies), University of Baghdad, Ph.D. Candidate Waleed Michael
Jabboury, 1st September 2005.
6. M.Sc. Thesis ( Engineering Geological study of slope stability along Kirkuk-Koya Road, Kurdistan Region-Iraq ), University of Koya, M.Sc. Candidate Bahra Dhahir Ghafour, 28th September 2008.
7. M.Sc. Thesis ( Effect of Land-Fill Soil Reinforcement on Performance of Foundations Under Static Load ), University of Koya, M.Sc. Candidate Muhammed Omar Ali, 18th December 2008.
8. M.Sc. Thesis ( Geotechnical Assessment of Haibat Sultan Formations and their Suitability for Tunnel Construction ), University of Koya, M.Sc. Candidate Hemen Muhammed Ameen Omar, 3rd March 2009.
9. Ph.D. Thesis ( Geotechnical Evaluation of the Proposed Dam Site on Basara Stream near Delizha Village, Sulaimania, Kurdistan Region, NE – Iraq ), University of Sulaimania, Kurdistan Region-Iraq, Ph.D. Candidate Ghafour Ameen Hama Sour, 6th December 2009.
10. M.Sc. Thesis ( Extraction of Magnisium Oxide from Dolomite), University of Technology-Baghdad, Candidate: Farah Ismaeel Ibraheem, 29.10.2015.
11. M.Sc. Thesis ( Analytical Study of Joints in Baba Dome-Kirkuk Structure/ Northern Iraq), University of Kirkuk, Candidate: Abdulkareem Muhammed Salih, 6.3.2016.
1. Elements of Mining, by Young (Translation as a Text Book into Arabic), 1985.
2. Mineral Processing Technology, by B. A. Wills (Translation as a Text Book into Arabic), 1984
Mining Eng., Tunneling Eng., Mineral Processing Eng., Environmental Eng. and Pollution, Road Pavement.
1. Engineering Drawing (First year students, Petroleum and Mining Eng. / College Of Eng. / University of Baghdad).
2. Descriptive geometry (First year students, Petroleum and Mining Eng./ College Of Eng. / University of Baghdad).
3. Mining Engineering (Third year students, Petroleum and Mining Eng./ College Of Eng. / University of Baghdad ).
4. Mineral Technology (Fourth year students, Petroleum and Mining Eng./ College Of Eng. / University of Baghdad ).
1- Schollarship from the ministry of oil and minerals-Baghdad to study GCE and then B.Sc. in England from 1972 till 1977.
2- Austrian schollarship to do Ph.D. at the Leoben School of Mines (Montanuniversitaet Leoben), Leoben, Austria from 1985 till 1990.
3- Research grant for Ph.D. research laburatory equipment setup from the austrian foundation “ Fonds to support the scientific works-Vienna” from 1986 till 1990.
4- Certificate of Alumni University after completing the Fulbright Visiting Scholars Programme-Iraq at Michigan State University from 26 June 2011 till 3 September 2011. ( See attached certificates below):